esme-dev mailing list archives

From Mrinal Wadhwa <mrinal.wad...@gmail.com>
Subject Moving UI code out of server code
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 06:00:07 GMT
A big big thank you to all the lovely people who've been moving html out of
the server code these past couple of weeks .. that is very helpful. Thank
you.

Here are a few things I especially had a problem with last I was working the
webapp code, if would be great if you could look into these as well ..

1. Login form*  *-  the html for the login forn sits in the User Model ...
it would be great if this could be moved out.
2. Edit user form -  I know that the redirection to this happens in
UserSnip.scala .. but I'm not really sure how thr form actually gets
generated ... I think it some how gets generated from the model .. I suspect
somewhere in User.scala
3. Menus - configuring what menu appears on which page and how to change
their labels took me a lot of time to figure.... and some I just could not
figure out .. so I ended up changing labels after load in javascript.

if you guys could change these .. that would be awesome !!

On a more broader note ...
I think that the *controller of the UI* in a complex app like ESME should
actually sit in the UI and not in on the server ... the sever should act
more like a model to/from which you can send/recieve data, authentication
etc.  ....  this gives the UI developer a lot of control on how he wants the
UI to behave ... UI behaviour like lets say ... transitioning from one view
to another with a nice effect and no page redirects is much easer to do like
that.
One option is to build on the API but that in teh current form means
authenticating via a Token and not from the login form.

would love to know what you think.

Thank you,
Mrinal