esme-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nobody from the ASF is helping (ESME) sustain or build momentum or community
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 12:37:50 GMT
On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Anne Kathrine Petteroe
<yojibee@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I have a question for Erik.
>
> In a comment on David's post you say:
> "I just don't see the path, other than perhaps Siemens, SAP, or some other
> sponsor paying people to write the code. Which, of course, would fit with
> other ASF projects."
>
> How does this sponsorship work?
> Does ASF have projects which are commercial open source?...

It's not uncommon for ASF developers to work on projects in their work
time, and I think in the last few years this has become much more
common.

The important thing is that the ASF is not involved with this in any
way - if a company wants to hire a developer or contractor to work on
ASF software, they are free to do so, but ASF projects involve
individuals, not companies.

>From the ASF's perspective, what is important is that project
decisions are made by individuals and not companies. To graduate from
the incubator, a project needs at least three committers who are
independent from each other in a business sense, i.e. employed by
independent companies or self-employed.

To take a concrete example, if a company were to hire someone to work
on ESME, and that someone is not currently active on the project, that
person would have to prove their merit and follow the usual process to
become a committer - there's no way for someone to "buy a seat" in an
ASF project.

-Bertrand