esme-dev mailing list archives

From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nobody from the ASF is helping (ESME) sustain or build momentum or community
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 18:22:17 GMT
On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Gianugo Rabellino <
g.rabellino@sourcesense.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM, David Pollak
> <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Gianugo Rabellino <
> > g.rabellino@sourcesense.com> wrote:

> >> other
> with

> >> Anne,
> >>
> >> I'm walking a fine line here, so full disclosure first (and apologies
> >> if it's perceived as spam): my company provides, among others, those
> >> kind of services and we have been, although in a somewhat different
> >> way, doing something very similar to sponsored work on another Apache
> >> project (POI) on behalf of a "sponsor" (Microsoft). I won't abuse any
> >> further of the public list, but feel free to contact me if you want to
> >> know more about what we did over there.
> >

> > ESME is not a corporate sponsored project.  It's not a project funded by
> the
> > likes of Microsoft, SAP, etc.  It's a community effort.
>
> FTR, neither is POI.
>
> > If I were to choose
> > a firm to help guide ESME, I'd recommend RedMonk.  Why?  Because the
> RedMonk
> > folks are very good and have already participated in ESME (plus there are
> > good personal relationships.)
>
> RedMonk as in the analyst RedMonk? They can definitely be helpful,
> although that kinda collides with the idea of having more developers.
> Anyway, they are good blokes indeed and I would suggest them to anyone
> who needs analyst help with Open Source stuff..
>
> > If you want to demonstrate that you've got any value to offer other than
> > trying to suck money out of Anne's budget for your services and piss on
> me,
> > perhaps you can be positive about helping to analyze ESME and what this
> > project needs to succeed in the ASF and beyond... without any corporate
> > support.
>
> Whatever, David. I knew my disclaimer could have been read as a plug,
> but I just prefer being over-transparent. Making my point without
> noting that I happen to make a living out of those services Anne was
> inquiring for would have been dodgy. For now, you're getting my free
> time and attention, and I'm still more than happy to help ESME out,

So far, I have seen no value from your time and attention.  I have seen some
significant costs associated with your posts.

Are you willing to help with what ESME needs?  Are you willing to mentor
Anne and Dick in their leadership role of this project?  What value do you
have to help manage the energy and momentum of this project?

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp