esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How about targetting a "release"?
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 18:53:42 GMT
I've been thinking myself what it would take to release a finished
version. A release would make it easier for others to try out ESME and
a release schedule would motivate us to focus on short-term goals.

I could add ESME-53 (Access pools), and the associated feature
requests 54-57. Access pools are a personal itch, as their absence was
the main reason a certain micromessaging solution has been rejected in
a team I've been in. A lot of the server functionality for access
pools is finished and the work left is mostly related to the UI.

I wasn't fully aware that HTML cleanup from the scala files is
stopping development of the current UI. If that's the case, I should
probably put the access pools on hold and focus on this task, so
others are not blocked by 60-63. Is this the case?

As for a rewrite- anything more significant than the HTML/Scala
refactoring is not at all realistic for a release schedule 1 1/2
months from now. I would prefer that any rewrite with our current
resources is incremental, if possible, otherwise it would mean ESME
development is frozen for months. I have no desire to kill whatever
inertia ESME has without any visible results at this time. It should
be possible to focus on areas, which are not affected so much by the
perceived inelegance of the code base. Remember- for the outside world
it is important for ESME to deliver, otherwise it's easy to conclude
ESME development is stalled.

Vassil