esme-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Kohl <zsapp...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Favourite feed
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:53:02 GMT

Hi Anne,

that is indeed a very interesting topic. Just a couple of notes from
my side:

1. via - first saw this in Tweetie for the iPhone and didn't liked it
at all. Mostly because it went away from the commonly used Twitter
vocabulary. No clue why he went that route but maybe he is hanging out
to much with John Gruber.

2. Your distinction between RT and via makes a lot of sense. One is to
repost the content, the other to reframe it and add value. For quoting
someone because you think the person said something deep and
meaningful, one had to use a RT. For pointing to another source
(link), a reframing makes a lot of sense, because one can add his own
opinion and therefore add value.

3. Another way to extract the value of an interesting information
(from a link) is to either count the number of retweets or the number
of clicks on this link.

3 a) Count gets hard with all the different shortening services in
place already because you basically have to resolve the URL and count
the actual target. I currently have the problem with my WP plugin and
did see this with all the different URLs posted that point to the
Affinity Group.

3 b) Counting the number of clicks is a completely different problem,
which can actually get solved by shortening services. Dave Winer is
running his 40 Tweets page now for some time and he is using tr.im to
show the actual number of visits using his tr.im'ed version of the
link. Maybe EMSE could need its own shortening service plus
statistics...just a thought.

4. Favorites - Tweetie on OS X (the new one) is the first client I'm
aware of that actually show the favorited tweets in the profile view
for a user. I don't know for how long Twitter gives public access to
this information (maybe it was always that way) but that also means
that these tweets could be incorporated into the personal timeline and
therefore be shown to a user. There is also the flag in a tweet it has
been favorited by someone else (but not by whom or how many times)
which could also be valuable.

Cheers,
   Oliver