esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The current state of ESME
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 16:05:42 GMT
> As a potential enterprise customer, this sentiment worries me greatly.  In
> my mind the singular killer feature of ESME is the enterprise focus.  Things
> that detract from that, like emphasizing OpenId for authentication rather
> than more enterprisey methods like Kerberos or (**shudder**) NTLM.

You might be right, but my thoughts were as a response to the fact SAP
is using laconi.ca internally, when there's nothing specifically
enterprisey about it.

Some time ago there was an announcement from Dennis Howlett about ESME
being proposed for use in schools. I was a bit worried that if this
type of institution perceived ESME as too enterprisey for their needs,
they might dismiss it.

> I say stick to your roots and make sure you do it well.  Right now the
> business case for microblogging in the enterprise is clear as mud.  I think
> it could be made if it was effectively blended into existing infrastructure
> in a way that's likely to produce value added communication rather than the
> sometimes amusing line noise produced by services like Twitter.

Most of the examples I was trying to come up with deal with
integrating with some kind of corporate infrastructure (specifically
in IT). I'm not sure ESME has found its own identity in the corporate
world, though.

My point is not that we shouldn't focus on the features which are of
interest to an enterprise- quite the contrary. However, I do not want
us to cut our options and try to force a perceived need on our users
before the product has even taken shape. Twitter has been successful
exactly because it was flexible and has evolved in accordance to the
needs of its users. If we receive feedback from more users like you,
which point to integration in the enterprise world, then I would be
happy for ESME to concentrate in this area. I'm not so keen on
removing features not seen as enterprisey, e.g. OpenID and alienating
users who could benefit ESME with ideas and feedback, which in the end
would benefit the enterprise user as well.

I could be wrong, but I'm happy there's feedback about what you want
in ESME. Thank you!

Vassil