esme-dev mailing list archives

From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RESTful ESME API - Design
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:38:42 GMT
Ethan,
Even if we use OAuth, we cannot drop sessions from ESME's APIs.

The current token mechanism is half-way to OAuth.  The current token
mechanism provides for the same unique identifier that OAuth requires.  The
part of OAuth that ESME does not yet support is the automatic credential
generation between two services.  Given that for the most part, the ESME
tokens are being used in clients, the credential negotiation part is
meaningless.

So, ESME currently uses the same kind of unique tokens as OAuth for
authenticating external services.

The reason for sessions has to do with long polling and the general cost of
setting up the machinery related to a User.  If we were to implement long
polling without sessions, we would have to construct the entire listener
mechanism on each long poll request rather than at the beginning of the
session.  Further, I expect to "page out" resources that have not received a
message in some future version of ESME.  Not having the session mechanism as
a guide for which user actors to page out is a significant negative.

While I understand how there are nice mappings between REST and CRUD, ESME
is not a CRUD application.  ESME is stateful, eventful, and sessionful.
 Forcing REST's stateless design onto ESME is a bad decision that will have
negative performance and semantic ramifications.

Thanks,

David

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp