esme-dev mailing list archives

From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sprint 1 Results
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 15:33:09 GMT
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Hirsch, Richard <richard.hirsch@siemens.com
> wrote:

> Probably best to discuss it without recriminations via the mailing list.
>
> The main question is did we bite off more than we chew?

I'm still having problems balancing my various projects.  I had planned to
do 2 days of work on the sprint in the final week, then I got sick and my
son got sick (we both wound up in urgent care) and I lost a bunch of days.
 I had prioritized Beginning Scala above ESME and thus didn't complete my
sprint items.  I'm not sure if this was bad planning on my part or if I
should have planned to lose 3 days in any given 3 week period of time.

> Maybe we should focus on smaller sprints with fewer items and have a status
> check half way through the sprint. Or we could use scrum "mails" via the
> mailing list once a week. This is probably the best idea and would also
> closely mimic the culture of our scrum calls.

I hesitate to shorten the iterations.  The overhead of starting the
iteration is so high that having a 1 week or 2 week iteration I think will
cost the project in terms of more overhead.  On the other hand, I like the
idea of scrum mail.  Maybe it's a Monday, Wednesday, Friday kind of thing.
 It'll give everyone a better idea of where everybody is and it should take
about 60 seconds to produce.

> >It would be best to have some sort of sprint retrospective and planning
> ASAP so we increase the momentum.
> I agree. Siemens installation is now up and running with the very old
> Google-based war file and the press release is also in its final stages
> which should mean more attention as well.

Without a working UI, I'm feeling kind of lost.  A lot of my dev and testing
is done by changing code and manually seeing what happens in the UI (I'm not
suggesting that we build our development process around my dev style, but I
am giving my perspective.)  So, I'd like to see what we can do to get back
to a "working" ESME that has a reasonable web UI when someone fires it up.

Thanks,

David