esme-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Publically editable wiki
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:13:44 GMT
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello Bertrand, Daniel,
>
> It would be beneficial for the ESME team if we have a world-editable
> wiki, at least for the time being. Some of the contributors are still
> sorting out issues with the ICLAs (e.g. Richard Hirsch), so can't edit
> the Confluence wiki at cwiki.apache.org.
>
> I am confused at this point what is possible- Daniel mentioned that
> the MoinMoin wiki is world-editable, while Bertrand pointed out there
> could be a public Confluence wiki too (indeed this is the case with
> SLING). What are the differences between the two and what are the
> restrictions?

a little bit of context...

documentations is source and any source which makes it into apache
releases needs to be of known provenance. confluence works well as a
lightweight way of creating releasable documentation provided that
everyone who has write access has signed a CLA.

so, a standard use case of a confluence wiki here at apache is to
create releasable documentation, which means it's restricted to those
with CLAs only.

apache doesn't have any way ATM of doing this with MoinMoin so
confluence is the only choice for this use case.

the other use case is for publicly editable documents overseen by the
community but not released. this is what's meant by a public wiki.
either MoinMoin or confluence instances can be used as public wiki's

> Do you have any recommendations for one or the other?

(i'll leave this to others...)

> Lastly, if a publically editable Confluence wiki is not a good choice
> for ESME, how can I volunteer for maintenance of the ESME MoinMoin
> wiki? Is writing a short letter to the infrastructure team enough?

MoinMoin (or confluence when it's used as a public wiki) doesn't
really take any maintainance so it's usually enough just to ask for
one

- robert