esme-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Anne Kathrine Petteroe <yoji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ESME UI TEAM] Sprint planning call results
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:07:02 GMT
Hi Bill,

> o I would think that it would make sense for me to be responsible  
> for mapping out the general end-user UI architecture, and also for  
> writing the UI spec for the first iteration of a new UI, because  
> both those tasks are extensions to the comments document I wrote.   
> If this is agreeable I will proceed with these, but even so I would  
> appreciate it if each of you could make a list of features/ 
> functionality the architecture should provide places for, and  
> indicate which you think are essential for the first iteration of  
> the new UI.
I am wondering if it would be better if this sprint would be only  
about mapping out the new UI architecture and writing the UI spec?
I wasn't present on the scrum call, so I was wondering if everyone  
agree to proceed exactly like you suggested in your document Bill?
Before we start I have a few questions, so if it is OK with you I  
would like to sum them up in an email and share them with the group.

 From the points you listed in your email I would like to take  
responsibility for this:
> o Beyond that, I was wondering if either of you would undertake the  
> task of accumulating requirements, use cases, etc. for the back-end  
> admin UI.


> o I see that Mrinal is already listed as an Apache incubator  
> committer.  I need to sign Apache's Contributor Licence Agreement  
> (CLA), and then follow up to become a committer.  Anne, what's your  
> status?  Are you legally able to provide code (HTML, JavaScript,  
> etc.) to the Apache repository, and will you be able to sign the CLA  
> soon?
I have already submitted the iCLA and hope I will be listed as a  
committer soon too  ;)
>

> o It was suggested that a good way to organize and publish tasks,  
> priorities, progress, etc. was to use a Google spreadsheet, to which  
> our team will have write privileges and the public will have read  
> privileges.  I'll look into setting something like that up and we  
> can see how it works.  Or if you prefer a different method, please  
> suggest it.

I also much prefer a Jira-like system.
If we cannot use this, maybe we can set up something on Google code?
Spreadsheets are good for gathering initial requirements, but for the  
actual work it is a much easier way to track each other's work through  
a task system in my experience.

- Anne


On 15. jan.. 2009, at 21.04, Bill Fernandez wrote:

> Dear Anne and Mrinal--
>
> First, Anne, I hope your trip to Iceland is safe and happy.
>
> There was a sprint planning teleconference this morning.  Here are  
> the point that are relevant to us as the UI team.
>
> o The sprint will end on  6-FEB-09.
>
> o It was suggested (but not decided) that the entire team have scrum  
> calls a couple of times a week at times alternating between 8:00 AM  
> and 9:00 AM US Pacific Time (GMT-8).
>
> o The team wants a new end-user UI based upon my suggestions.
>
> o The team also agreed that we need a suitable UI for the back-end  
> administrator.
>
> o The team wishes progress to be made in stages, where we produce  
> incremental improvements and additions over time.
>
> o Our goals for this sprint are:
> 	1. Map out an overall UI architecture for the web client.
> 	2. Design the first iteration of the new UI.
> 	3. Scope out requirements for the back-end admin UI.
>
> o Our stretch goals for this sprint are:
> 	4. Make a preliminary list of API calls the UIs will need.
> 	5. Implement the first stage end-user UI.
>
> o My first question to Mrinal and Anne is whether there are things  
> not on the above list you think should be there?  The second is, is  
> there anything that shouldn't be there?
>
> o My third question is what would each you you like to contribute  
> during this sprint?
>
> o I would think that it would make sense for me to be responsible  
> for mapping out the general end-user UI architecture, and also for  
> writing the UI spec for the first iteration of a new UI, because  
> both those tasks are extensions to the comments document I wrote.   
> If this is agreeable I will proceed with these, but even so I would  
> appreciate it if each of you could make a list of features/ 
> functionality the architecture should provide places for, and  
> indicate which you think are essential for the first iteration of  
> the new UI.
>
> o Beyond that, I was wondering if either of you would undertake the  
> task of accumulating requirements, use cases, etc. for the back-end  
> admin UI.
>
> o Dick Hirsh said he could help create the list of back-end admin  
> requirements.
>
> o David said that he wants to migrate the current API to (a) be more  
> REST-ful, and (b) be JSON based so as to be client-platform  
> independent.  He said Mrinal is pretty knowledgeable about the  
> current API, so I wonder if you (Mrinal) would like to work on  
> compiling a suggested list of APIs.
>
> o We didn't discuss the current AIR client, and I haven't played  
> with the current version.  Mrinal, do you have specific plans/ 
> desires you'd like to address during this sprint with respect to the  
> AIR client?
>
> o I see that Mrinal is already listed as an Apache incubator  
> committer.  I need to sign Apache's Contributor Licence Agreement  
> (CLA), and then follow up to become a committer.  Anne, what's your  
> status?  Are you legally able to provide code (HTML, JavaScript,  
> etc.) to the Apache repository, and will you be able to sign the CLA  
> soon?
>
> o It was suggested that a good way to organize and publish tasks,  
> priorities, progress, etc. was to use a Google spreadsheet, to which  
> our team will have write privileges and the public will have read  
> privileges.  I'll look into setting something like that up and we  
> can see how it works.  Or if you prefer a different method, please  
> suggest it.
>
>
> OK, so I think those are all the highlights from the meeting.  What  
> do you think?
> --Bill
> -- 
>
> ======================================================================
> Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design
>
> (505) 346-3080  *  bill@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com
> ======================================================================


Mime
View raw message