esme-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Koller" <dakol...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Scrum call summary (authentication section)
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 21:13:28 GMT
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM, David Pollak
<feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Daniel Koller <dakoller@googlemail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible to standardize the interface from ESME to the servlet
> > container:
>

> I'd strongly prefer not to do that.  It's fine for the auth plugin to do
> that, but this would mean that the container needs to support OpenID if an
> ESME instance is to support OpenID.
>

>  ...the reason for my statement was, that the set of needed auth schemes is
up to infrastructure setup, where ESME is used.

So an OpenID JAAS Provider can be used and this does not limit our options
in the ESME code. Using this way we could also decouple ESME roadmap from
any upcoming acitivities/issues in the OpenID space.

And on the other hand, the primary support for openid in the ESME code could
reduce the resources available for supporting other auth schemes in the ESME
code: a primary OpenID requirement (with a difficult setup to circumvent
OpenID) would not help.

Daniel