esme-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publically editable wiki
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:05:00 GMT
On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:06:02 am Vassil Dichev wrote:
> It would be beneficial for the ESME team if we have a world-editable
> wiki, at least for the time being. Some of the contributors are still
> sorting out issues with the ICLAs (e.g. Richard Hirsch), so can't edit
> the Confluence wiki at cwiki.apache.org.

Can I ask what the hold up is with the icla's?   If he's going to contribute
in a meaningful way, he needs to get that in.

> I am confused at this point what is possible- Daniel mentioned that
> the MoinMoin wiki is world-editable, while Bertrand pointed out there
> could be a public Confluence wiki too (indeed this is the case with
> SLING). What are the differences between the two and what are the
> restrictions? Do you have any recommendations for one or the other?

We can definitely create a public confluence space.  That's not a problem.
They question is how useful will it be?   ANYTHING that gets added there
cannot be then moved over into official documentation or into svn or anything
like that.   It sounds to me like you want a place to start collaborating on
some design docs and such.   In that case, it really CANNOT go on a public
wiki as, most likely, it would get moved into official docs as it gets
finalized.    That's mostly why I HIGHLY recommend getting on the ball and
getting ICLA's in.

One note: in the non-world-editable confluence space, anyone can create
comments attached to pages.   Thus, you could start some pages and he or
anyone else could comment on it.   You could then use the comments to adjust
things, etc....

Anyway, I'd like to here the full use case that you and Richard are trying to
achieve on a public wiki.   If its potential documentation or web site
material, then no, it doesn't go on a public wiki and no need to create one.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org