esme-dev mailing list archives

From "Vassil Dichev" <vdic...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The ESME to-do list
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:49:25 GMT
> It's going to be at least 6 months until we figure out what the cadence of
> the team is.  I suggest that we have 3 or 4 week iterations starting on
> January 5.  We'll do an iteration planning meeting on the 5th or 6th and see
> how many points we consume for the first few iterations.  Over time, we'll
> get a sense of how many points each team consumes and we'll get more
> feedback from end users (I'd like to figure out how Dick and other end users
> fit into the planning and iteration structure.)  After 6-8 sprints, we'll
> have some averages of number of points consumed and that'll give us some
> ability to project into the future.

Thanks, the initial plan is much clearer now.

> We have limited resources.  Focusing on our core market and our core users
> will allow us to be excellent and make them jumping up and down happy.
> Making sure we don't box ourselves in is something we need to keep in mind,
> but, barring some consumer company coming and paying to have certain
> features added to ESME, I expect that we're going to focus on what makes
> Siemens, SAP and Colgate-Palmolive happy.

I didn't mean feature-wise: sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I just
meant that the "marketing" message shouldn't be "*exclusively* for the
enterprise" (I'm not saying that it is currently). I meant: it's
targeted for the enterprise, but if you're not an enterprise, you
might find its features pretty useful too. Case in point: I hear via
the Twitter stream of @dahowlett that ESME is proposed for use in
schools and I think it's a great idea. We don't want to drive them
away by saying: "Oh no no, it's only for the enterprise".

Best Regards,
Vassil