empire-user mailing list archives

From Alain Becam <Alain.Be...@embl.de>
Subject Re: Strange problem with Date while inserting
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 08:03:39 GMT
Hi Francis,
      Thank you for investigating. Well, unfortunately it is a DATETIME:

C_AT_TIME             = addColumn("AT_TIME", DataType.DATETIME,      0,
DataMode.Nullable);

But somehow I do something that got EmpireDB to be confused about it.
BTW I updated after my message from 2.2 to the latest release 2.4.2,
could that be something that has been fixed since? As I said before, it
is crazily rare, so even difficult to know if it is fixed or not...

//Alain

On 03/03/2013 21:27, Francis De Brabandere wrote:
> Hi Alain,
>
> I'm trying to reproduce this in a test, could you tell us what the
> definition of C_AT_TIME looks like?
>
> Somehow it's not a DataType.DATETIME as that type of field generates this sql:
> INSERT INTO DATA( NAME, UPDATE_TIMESTAMP) VALUES ( 'test',
> TO_DATE('2013-03-03 21:23:52', 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'))
>
> Cheers,

>> Hi Alain!
>>
>> Can you paste the connection relevant code, too?
>> Do you use a connection pool?
>>
>> Jens
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 28.02.2013, at 10:48, Alain Becam <Alain.Becam@embl.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for your feedbacks, here is the relevant part of code, slightly simplified.
Very simple as you can see. The first method can be called by several threads, but as the
static method insertSearchTerm is then instantiating a new DBRecord each time, that shouldn't
be a problem. Using prepared statements is a good idea (and in some other places as well),
so I will try it.

>>> public void insertSearchTerm(int operatorId, String searchTerms, boolean isLocal,
String from)
>>> {
>>>         GregorianCalendar today = new GregorianCalendar();
>>>         Date todayDate = today.getTime();
>>>
>>>         MiscTools.insertSearchTerm(operatorId,connectionToNew, searchTerms, isLocal,
todayDate, from);
>>> }
>>>

>>> -- MiscTools --
>>>
>>> public static void insertSearchTerm(Connection conn, String searchTerms, boolean
isLocal, Date atTime, String from)
>>>     {
>>>         try
>>>         {
>>>             DBRecord rec = new DBRecord();
>>>             rec.create(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG);
>>> rec.setValue(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG.C_SEARCH_TERMS, searchTerms);
>>> rec.setValue(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG.C_IS_LOCAL, isLocal);
>>>             rec.setValue(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG.C_AT_TIME, atTime);
>>>             rec.setValue(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG.C_FROM_IP, from);
>>>
>>>             try
>>>         {
>>>             rec.update(conn);
>>>
>>>             GeneralApp.db.commit(conn);
>>>         }
>>>         catch (Exception e)
>>>         {
>>>                logger.error("Error while inserting new search terms",e);
>>>         }
>>>         }
>>>     }

threading issues? Do you have static date formatter or static members of empire classes/instances
in your code?

24h/24h), and very rarely, something like once in a week, I get an SQL error because the date
is not quoted. It is a very simple insert, and so works something like 99.9% of the time.
Still I am curious to know what happen. Here is the relevant part of the raised exception:

Error executing query INSERT INTO SEARCH_TERMS_LOG( SEARCH_TERMS, IS_LOCAL, AT_TIME, FROM_IP)
VALUES ( 'XXXX', 1, Thu Feb 21 10:27:45 CET 2013, '10.11.4.119').
AT_TIME, FROM_IP) VALUES ( 'XXXX', 1, Thu Feb 21 10:27:45 CET 2013, '10.11.4.119').

if needed, and in that case it is doing nothing, just calling back the DBRecord methods. Still
it could do something wrong, I simply don't see what.

--
       Alain Becam, PhD