empire-dev mailing list archives

From Francis De Brabandere <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Work on EMPIREDB-103 (DDL duplicate code) almost complete!
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:35:10 GMT
Sounds like I missed/misunderstood something there when I create the
driver. Go ahead and commit the change since it fixes a bug. (skipping
a column is not the correct solution anyway, should have thrown an
unsupportedexception or so)

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Eike Kettner <news@eknet.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just ran the basic and advances examples on my linux machine with
> postgresql 8.4.8, mysql 5.1.49 and derby 10.4.2.0.
>
> All went well except for the basic example with postgresql. Here is the
> stack trace:
>
> org.apache.empire.exceptions.InvalidArgumentException: Invalid Argument -1 for parameter
>        at org.apache.empire.db.DBReader.getValue(DBReader.java:370)
>        at org.apache.empire.db.DBRecordData.getString(DBRecordData.java:193)
>        at org.apache.empire.db.DBRecordData.getString(DBRecordData.java:206)
>        at org.apache.empire.samples.db.SampleApp.queryRecords(SampleApp.java:419)
>        at org.apache.empire.samples.db.SampleApp.main(SampleApp.java:135)
>

> The problem is line 422 of SampleApp.java, it says
>
>  reader.getString(PHONE_EXT_NUMBER)
>
> It seems that the query depends on the dbms. In line 380-386, the
> "column" PHONE_EXT_NUMBER is only added to the query if it's _not_
> postgresql. The comment states, that this is due to posgresql not
> supporting substring. I'm pretty sure, that postgre supports this (see
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/functions-string.html) So I
> bravely removed the if condition and the example ran successfully.
>
> Are there any other reasons for this if-condition? I'd then say, we
> should remove it, since substring is supported by postgre?
>
> Regards,
> Eike
>

> On [Mon, 10.10.2011 00:28], Rainer Döbele wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am happy to announce that I have almost completed another major task that has long
been overdue: The reduction of duplicate code for DDL generation.

>> Doesn't sound like much, but this issue has been quite a bit of work and hence took
me quite a bit of time.
>> I have tried my best to achieve the same results as before by comparison of the DDL
outcome.
>> But I have not been able to make real database tests against the following databases:
MySQL, Postgre, H2, Derby.
>> However I have tested Oracle, SQLServer and HSQLDB.
>>
>> Is anyone able to test it with any of the remaining databases by running at least
the basic and the advanced sample?

--
http://www.somatik.be