empire-dev mailing list archives

From benni <benni...@web.de>
Subject Re: Starting with Empire-db code generator
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:06:50 GMT
Hi Thomas,

I have just moved to vienna (austria) so i had not that much time for
empire-db till now (sorry for that), but i have been following the mails
on dev list.
I was hoping that you would do the first step, as the codegen is your
idea and you have written most of the code.

Maybe we should, for the beginning, attach the code that has been
written till now to the JIRA task that Rainer created.
I'd do I myself, but I think I'm not allowed to do so as the code is
mostly yours and I'm not sure whether you've submitted a signed CLA to
Apache.

Please let me know what you think, or what you'd suggest to do first.

Best Regards
    Benjamin

Rainer Döbele schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> as you have probably noticed we have finally managed to get our 2.0.5 release approved
and published.
> Now it's time to move ahead and get on with some serious work :-)
>
> I have now set up a new project called "empire-db-codegen".
> It is a Maven style subproject of "empire-db-parent" just like the empire-db core and
the struts2 extensions.
> You can best access it with the public access to the svn repository on
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/empire-db/trunk
>
> The package name for the code generator classes is "org.apache.empire.db.codegen".
> The main class is "org.apache.empire.db.codegen.CodeGen" which can be executed through
its main method.
> This should be OK for now, but my idea is to make this whole thing a Maven plugin later
on.

> At the moment the project contains only this class, a configuration class and a config
file.
> The properties of the configuration bean will be set from the config.xml file. I have
already added some configuration options of which I thought they would be useful. Feel free
to add more.
> Before you start debugging however, you have to provide valid JDBC connection parameters
to a database.

> The idea is now to add the templates and the code for the code generator based on your
previous work (@Thomas and Benjamin). We should make sure, that the code is as simple as possible
and largely "fat free" i.e. without any unnecessary stuff. On the other hand it would be handy
to have as many configuration options as possible with useful defaults. Any details about
the implementations can be discussed on this forum (empire-db-dev).