empire-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject Re: Review of release assembly
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:37:07 GMT
Hello everyone,

Regarding our upcoming release I have had a look at apache-cxf-2.2 and myfaces-core-1.2.6
and apache-wicket-1.4.rc2. All three seem to provide a considerably different layout.
Where cxf and myfaces seem to supply all required dependencies, wicket seems not.
There are many more differences on the archive structure and the contents.
However all distributions supply the javadoc.

In order to go ahead I suggest the following.
1. The structure of the distribution should be
   lib
   javadoc
   src
   examples
I think it would be better to separate the Examples from the Source like CXF does it. At the
moment we have it all below Src. Francis, would this be difficult to achive with your Maven
build?

2. The lib-diretory should contain the following jars:
   empire-db-2.0.5.jar
   empire-struts2-ext-2.0.5.jar
   common-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
   common-collections-3.2.1.jar
   common-logging-1.0.4.jar
   log4j-1.2.14.jar
   hsqldb-1.8.0.10.jar
That will be sufficient to compile Empire-db core and the Empire-db core examples. I can provide
two additional info files specifying which dependencies are required for the struts2-ext and
the cxf-examples. To me this would be an acceptable compromise. In this case we have to provide
the license file for HSQLDB in the root. I don't think it's worth having a separate license
folder.
Another option would be to supply the required dependencies for Struts2 and CXF too. But this
would considerably blow up the size of the release file.

Concering the SNAPSHOT extension on our jars I have a question (probably best answered by
the mentors): The jars are in the archive that we put up for voting. If the vote succeeds,
is it acceptable to remove the extension or would it be better to remove the extension beforehand?
(Personally I would do the latter).

Another question to Francis:
When I tried to run the struts2 samples I had another problem. When I chose "Debug on Server"
for the empire-db-example-struts2 (using Tomcat 5.5.) I get the following error in the log:
 java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/xml/DOMConfigurator
For some reason log4j is not published to the WEB-INF/lib directory although it seems to be
correctly specified as a maven dependency. Do you have any idea why other maven depedencies
are copyied and this one is not?
On the other hand the servlet-api-2.4.jar and jsp-api-2.0.jar are published although they
should not.
(Personally I am using the sysdeo tomcat plugin with which the examples run fine when configured
correctly)

Anyone else except for Francis and me having an opinon on the release?
Regards

Rainer