empire-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject Re: merging to maven layout
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:07:59 GMT
Hi Francis,

finally I have found the time to check out the project and to perform some tests.
I first had to fix the problem with HSQLDB that we had since my last change in DBDatabaseDriver
in order to support the Statement.RETURN_GENERATED_KEYS.
I have tested with HSQLDB, SQLServer and Oracle but not yet with the order drivers.

Here are also some comments on your questions:

Francis De Brabandere wrote:
> Re: merging to maven layout
>
> merge mostly complete
>
> some things to discuss:
>  - keep release of struts2 extension on different version numbers?

Good question. Technically yes, since are only loosely coupled and not every change in one
of them requires a change of the other one. And if one day we have another component for connecting
Wicket or RCP we don't want them to have the same version number from the start, do we?

> Wicket for example releases all main extensions together and has a
> wicketstuff project for other (external) extensions...
>  - see what extra files need to be moved from the old structure (old
> folder)

The svn has been really slow today, I could hardly browse the repo.
We surely need the readme files (I will move them when svn is quicker again).
I am missing the tutorial.pdf. Any idea where it has gone?

>  - I set up a temporary non-official snapshot maven repo at:
> http://people.apache.org/~francisdb/empire-db/repo (daily snapshot
> release in my CI server but the machine is not always powered on...)
>  - The maven generated website is uploaded to:
> http://people.apache.org/~francisdb/empire-db/site but there still are
> some problems, the site is handy for code coverage info and other
> stuff:
>    eg: http://people.apache.org/~francisdb/empire-db/site/empire-
> db/project-reports.html

Looks great. But how do we combine that with our official project home page (that is unfortunately
harder to update and in many ways out of date).

> I think that we should now think about having everything set up for a
> 'correct' release. I'll add some more stuff later this week like
> checking for apache headers, more unit tests,...

Absolutely.
Don't underestimate the legal stuff. The mentors and the incubator PMC will have a very close
look that everything is in the right place, all license information is given and apache headers
are present everywhere.
About the testing: In theory automated unit testing is great but I am always a bit skeptical
that you get enough bangs for the buck. In our case, we need to make sure, that all three
sample applications run as provided plus we need to make sure that both the basic and the
advanced sample run correctly with every database driver we supply. It should be possible
to write a unit test for that, but it requires an environment where all database are installed.
Since an official release is really a major thing, I could live (for now) with manual testing
of the above and concentrate our efforts on other things.

BTW: Have you tested your new Drivers (postgree, h2 and derby) with both examples?
I saw you have excluded those drivers from using the reverse function in the SampleApp class.

Maybe we should find another example to show people how to perform complex column transformations.

> So in fact empire-db can already be tested by maven users, all they
> need to do is add the snapshot repository in their projects's
> pom/settings file.

I think we need an official release and a registration in the central Maven repository to
really get things moving.

I would like to add two more examples to the project.
One is a WebService that provided data from the database.
The other one is a Stuts2 Web Application similar to the one we already have, but that uses
the WebService rather than direcly accessing the database. It shows that Empire-db's metadata
management facilities can even be used without a database.
Is it OK if I just check the new projects in below the empire-db examples branch?

Regards
Rainer

P.S. Thanks again for your great work.