empire-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject Information about the empire-struts2-ext distribution
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:28:09 GMT
Hi Franics,

as promised I want go give you some detail about the empire-struts2-ext distribution files.
The archive contains both binaries and source code of the strut2-ext library as well as a
sample application that shows how to use it.

I don't know whether you have tried and mangaged to run the example application, but the problem
we have at the moment is, that the jars in the lib folder which are required to build the
struts2-ext-jar from the source are also required for the DBWebSample appliation. For the
latter however they should reside in
examples\DBWebSample\WebRoot\WEB-INF\lib

Since we did not want to distribute the same files twice, we decided to provide a file called
copy_jars (.bat and .sh) in the DBWebSamples lib folder. This solution however is not ideal.

Building the struts2-ext.jar or the DBWebSample requires the following dependencies:

Common stuff:
-commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
-commons-collections-3.2.1.jar
-commons-digester-1.8.jar
-commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar
-commons-io-1.4.jar
-commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
-log4j-1.2.14.jar

Empire-db:
-empire-db-2.0.4.jar

JEE-Web Application (taken from Tomcat 5.5)
-servlet-api.jar
-jsp-api.jar

Apache Struts2 dependencies:
-ognl-2.6.11.jar
-struts2-codebehind-plugin-2.0.11.2.jar
-struts2-core-2.0.11.2.jar
-struts2-sitemesh-plugin-2.0.11.2.jar
-freemarker-2.3.8.jar
-xwork-2.0.5.jar

Apache Tiles project dependencies:
-tiles-api-2.0.4.jar
-tiles-core-2.0.4.jar
-tiles-jsp-2.0.4.jar

The DBWebSample additionally needs the HSQLDB database (hsqldb-1.8.0.10.jar).

Ideally I would still provide all the dependencies with the distribution (i.e. put the in
a local repository), but organize it in a more convenient way, so that the user does not have
to copy the jars around.
With maven it should be possible to create Projects for Eclipse / NetBeans and others for
both building the empire-struts2-ext.jar from the source as well as compile and run the DBWebSample
application. The distribution should also be laid out in the Maven way (folder structure you
suggested).

As proposed, if you could do that and send the result back to me I would then make sure, that
further distributions are provided that way. I will also try to modify the ant scripts to
that the user has a choice of Maven or Ant.

So I hope you have all the information you need now.
(If not just ask).

Thanks and best regards
Rainer

P.S. I'd be interested to know, whether and how you have evaluated or used Empire-db and what
exactly attracted you to our project.