empire-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:31:09 GMT
Hi Francis,

first of all we all use Eclipse and the projects as they are in SVN at the moment are Eclipse
projects (with the eclipse files also checked in). So if you just check out all projects under
core and those under struts2-ext in one workspace you can compile and run them all.

I know that Maven can generate project files for Eclipse, NetBeans and possibly others and
this is why I think it would be a good idea to provide Maven pom file(s) with the distribution.
You are right, that maintaining two build systems would require more work, although I don't
think that they would change very frequently. Getting rid of the old Ant script is certainly
an option.

When I thought about Maven support however, I wasn’t thinking of changing the internal project
structure as it currently is in SVN, since this is not the structure the user will see when
downloading the distribution files anyway. Instead the buildRelease.xml Ant script creates
the final structure of the distribution. Hence the directory structure you proposed can be
provided by changing the buildRelease.xml Ant script accordingly.

So I thought all we need to do is to provide Maven pom files and change the buildRelease.xml
script.

I am still not sure, what benefits the change of the internal project structure as currently
in SVN would have for us. Since the projects files of the Empire-db internal development ant
those provided with the distribution are somewhat different (e.g. regarding project dependencies
and classpath) I assume so would the Maven POM files. Hence there have to be two sets of files
anyway.

Personally I am open for any kind of change if I can see the advantage. For the moment however
I would prefer starting with a Maven solution for the users of the distribution first, and
maybe later on we can change the internal project layout too.
What do you think?

Rainer