empire-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Reiher <rei...@esteam.de>
Subject AW: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:48:53 GMT
Hi Francis,
first thanks for reporting the bug in the SampleConfig - that's definitely a good start to
contribute :-)!

As Rainer already stated, the main goal for release 2.0.5 (and 1.0.5 of struts extension respectively)
should be to "mavenize" the empire-db source code.
This doesn't require deep insight into empire-db, but a good knowledge of Maven. So if you
feel comfortable with Maven (or you want to get comfortable :-) then this would be great.
To start I'd look into other Apache (Incubator) projects to see how they used Maven. By "mavenizing"
empire-db we could get rid of some dependencies and we'd overcome the trouble with
proprietary db drivers, because the user could download them from the Maven repository (we
can't provide proprietary drivers in the Apache svn of course).

There are a lot of other things that could be done for empire-db that need some more insight
into the code, for example:
- Implementing drivers for other databases (DerbyDB comes to mind as it's also an Apache project)
-> a starting point would be to take a closer look at the *Driver* classes in the empire-db
project, maybe even starting with a copy of one of these as a "template"
- Searching and reporting bugs and/or improvements
- Creating "extensions" for other web/gui frameworks to leverage the meta data provided by
empire-db
-> this is of course quite time consuming and needs quite good knowledge of the empire-db
components and the targeted web/gui framework

So far,
I hope I could help a little bit
any contribution and questions are welcome,
so don't hesitate to post it here

Greetings
jorg