empire-dev mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <henn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] apache-empire-db-2.0.3-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.3-incubating release
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:17:58 GMT
I strongly urge you to keep the 72 hour period even if you have three or
four votes already. This is a worldwide community and it is midnight
somewhere on that planet all the time. If you call for a vote on a
Thursday, you will want to let it run till Monday. Shortcutting votes is
a sure way to get questions or concern about the community state.

On the subject: I pretty much concur with what Martijn wrote. I also
like to add:

- MANIFEST.MF still shows "ESTEAM Software", that should be Apache
- Most java files show "ESTEAM Software" in the author tags. I'd
encourage you to replace these with "Apache Empire-db Authors" or
something like this over the course of incubation.

Getting a RAT report before a release is IMHO necessary. We can let this
slip for the first release, but in the future, I will simply vote a
release down unless it has a RAT report.

It is pretty common to release Apache projects as a source archive only
without binaries, with all the files needed to rebuild and it is
preferred to be able to rebuild the binary with ant/maven or another
command line tool instead of an IDE.

A binary release is fine and also encouraged, but the primary
distribution that Apache does is source code and a way for users to
rebuild it on their system.

You probably also want to release to the incubator Maven repository, too
(easy if you build with maven, a bit more difficult but not much if you
use ant) to get a wider audience for the release.

So my vote is -0; I'd let this one pass but I am pretty sure that the
IPMC will have issues with it. It is probably easier to fix these first.

	Best regards
		Henning

Jörg Reiher schrieb:
> Hi everyone,
>

> in order to make the namespace renaming available for everyone we should try to get a
new release out as soon as possible. I suggest the new release to have version number 2.0.3.
(for empire-db core) and 1.0.3. for empire-struts2-extentions.