edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Thread Usage in Edgent / Runtime
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2018 08:07:19 GMT
Hi Edgenteers,

after chris does not stop to convince me that Edgent is THE THING to use for IoT I started
once again a deeper look into its internals.

I do not yet fully understand the core of Edgent and its runtime or how it physically runs
the users operation at the end.

But what I observed is that it uses a pretty high number of threads and what’s way worse
it consumes many threads, i.e., it starts and stops threads all the time (about 1 per second
in several Demo Applications (Water / Sensor Analytics Application).

And this is also not dependent on the Provider (Direct vs Development).

Can anyone here give me some explanations on how the Threading Model of Edgents runtime is
and why it is done that way as for me, it seems a bit wasteful with regards to resources and
we want to be as low footprint in our applications as possible.

Thank you!

Julian