edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Re: USP Apache Edgent
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2018 06:39:23 GMT
Hey Chris,

hello to you on this list and thanks for your response.

I get your point and I agree that Akka streams is very complex which is especially bad for
simple use cases.

But, as you also say, Edgent and Akka streams seem to be the first options for streaming in
situations where one has limited resources (which is also often times the situation for us).

What I liked about Edgent when I first looked into it (must be 2 years ago, I think shortly
after it was renamed from Quartz) I liked the command & control approach but up till now
I'm not able to understand the concept (it instruments something wich MBeans and JMX it seems
but I can't figure it out). Do you have any hints for "good" documentation on that or at least
some code samples which help to get the principle?

Another point I am currently missing in the IoT Landscape is a (logical) drop in replacement
for something like Apache Kafka. We use it usually for two reasons. First, the obvious decoupling
from data generation and processing (and the possibility to backpressure) and second as a
message store (in the concept of Event Sourcing) to allow for later reprocessing.

Stripping it down, without all the distributed stuff Kafka is "just" an ordered queue (as
Jay Kreps likes to emphasize also). So in the context of stream processing it would love to
have a Sink / Source with semantics similar to kafkas (producer, consumer, topics, offset
management) which is backed by a simple append only file. One interesting Implementation of
such a queue (without the exact semantics, I think, is e.g., [1]).

Is there something similar in Edgent currently, I did not observe anything like that.

Would you think that this is something which would fit in Edgents scope as IoT Streaming project?

Best

Julian

[1] https://github.com/OpenHFT/Chronicle-Queue