edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] January Podling Report
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2018 16:40:41 GMT
No problems ... I just thought I'd start one as I didn't see any response . Better to have
two options than none ;-)

Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> herunterladen

Von: Dale LaBossiere
Gesendet: Montag, 5. Februar, 17:02
Betreff: Re: [DRAFT] January Podling Report
An: dev@edgent.apache.org

Hmm… I sent a draft on Jan 30th and was planning on submitting it today. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c23ae4d7536e911b10668de205e435bb171c529d96df4a536fd1ddcc@%3Cdev.edgent.apache.org%3E
But no worries. Maybe just merge some of the info into yours. — Dale > On Feb 5, 2018,
at 6:33 AM, Christofer Dutz wrote: > > Hi all, > > So I whipped up a report …
hope I got the most important things in there … I added things since November as this seems
to have been our last report. > > ---------------- > > Edgent > > Apache
Edgent is a programming SDK and micro-kernel style runtime > that can be embedded in gateways
and small footprint edge devices enabling > local, real-time, analytics on the continuous
streams of data coming > from equipment, vehicles, systems, appliances, devices and sensors
of > all kinds (for example, Raspberry Pis or smart phones). Working in > conjunction
with centralized analytic systems, Apache Edgent provides > efficient and timely analytics
across the whole IoT ecosystem: from the > center to the edge. > > Edgent has been
incubating since 2016-02-29. > > Three most important issues to address in the move
towards graduation: > > 1. Create and expand a diverse community of contributors and
committers > around the Edgent project. > 2. Attracting at least another independent
committer/ppmc member. > 3. Finding further real world users of Edgent > > Any issues
that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be > aware of? > > The new
incubating project: Apache PLC4X has bound quite a bit of the active > Edgent contributors
for now. So right now we haven’t been as active as in the months > before. This is due
to the fact that the affected contributors have been working > on an Edgent integration
module for PLC4X. As these activities will require less > attention in the future we are
hoping the adoption of PLC4X & Edgent to increase > the user- and eventually contributor-base.
> > How has the community developed since the last report? > > > * Christofer
Dutz demonstrated Apache Edgent working together with Apache PLC4X at the IoT Hessen Meetup
end of December > * Christofer Dutz demonstrated Apache Edgent working together with Apache
PLC4X at Nortec Hamburg (Industrial fair) > * … > > How has the project developed
since the last report? > > > * Released Apache Edgent 1.2.0 as first Maven built
version > * A lot of effort has been put into ensuring the stability of the test-results
(There were some timing related failures in the past) > * We have been working on simplifying
the build and release process (Especially reducing the number of manual operations) > *
Two contributors/committers have been very active in creating an integration module for Apache
PLC4X > * … > > > How would you assess the podling's maturity? > > Edgent
is making slow but consistent progress towards graduation. While we > don't yet meet the
diversity requirements, we put emphasis on community > growth through outreach which will
ultimately pave the way for additional > committers and contributors. Especially in combination
with Apache PLC4X we > are hoping to help grow the community of both projects. > >
Additionally, before we graduate it is important that we find users > outside of IBM. As
most Edgent committers are employed by IBM, external > stakeholders help ensure long term
contribution to the project. > > [ ] Initial setup > [ ] Working towards first release
> [X] Community building > [ ] Nearing graduation > [ ] Other: > > Date of
last release: > > 2017-12-14 Apache Edgent 1.2.0 > > When were the last committers
or PPMC members elected? > > In August 2017, we added Christofer Dutz as a new committer