edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] validating Apache Edgent (Incubating) 1.2.0 RC1
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2017 23:08:54 GMT
Chris, thanks for moving the release/RC along!

I’ve kicked off this DISCUSS thread because I'm unable to tell if the
staged RC is good to go or not and I didn’t want to pollute the RC1 Vote thread.

Since this is a new process for the project and the nexus / maven release flow
is new to me I’m confused and have to ask some questions before I can assess
if the RC contents are ok.

I, and others, definitely can’t follow the directions in the VOTE's [6]
even reading between the lines and omitting the RM and “binary” parts of it :-)

Here’s where I’m stumbling:

- I’m of the belief that the traditional normally mandated ASF *source* release staging
and
  release areas must continued to be used for the release’s aggregate source bundle(s)
      https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/edgent <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/edgent>
      https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/edgent <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/edgent>

  There isn’t anything staged in the “dev” area for 1.2.0.
  If you look at the “release” area you’ll see what the expected contents/layout are
  (of course omitting the “binaries” dir for 1.2.0).

  FWIW, there seems to be inconsistency among what additional files
  TLPs have - e.g., beam,nifi,camel only have the bundle, kafka includes RELEASE_NOTES,
  flex (which original edgent process derived from) has LICENSE, README, ….
  I guess we can follow the lean-and-mean ones if we want to :-)

  That said, that layout, and form of bundle name, is what the [6] referenced
  download-edgent-asf.sh tool expects so it simply won’t work.
  I’m happy to fix the script, if appropriate, once I understand things.

  Note: I see aggregate source release bundles *are* present in the nexus dir:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheedgent-1002/org/apache/edgent/edgent-parent/1.2.0/
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheedgent-1002/org/apache/edgent/edgent-parent/1.2.0/>
  That said, the form of their names (edgent-parent-1.2.0-source-releaase…) isn’t what's
expected / required.
  Also note, those names are different from what -Papache-release generates in the target
dir
  (apache-edgent-<ver>—incubating-source-release…)

- I’m unclear on what I see staged in nexus will ultimately be released in nexus and mirrored
to maven central,
  hence unclear whether the nexus contents are “correct”.

  Is everything present in the nexus’s RC staging repo going to get mirrored to Maven Central
  and if so, is that what’s desired?
  - there are the aforementioned aggregate edgent-parent source bundles (with names different
from what's mandated - e.g. “incubating” in them)
  - there are individual component source jars - I can imagine those could be useful for associating
src with a component
  - there are individual component test jars - those seem undesired
  - there’s the edgent-test* components - those seem undesired
  - there are edgent-distribution components that have aggregate/transitive “bin” bundles
that we’re NOT releasing

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.
— Dale