edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject [DISCUSS] Release Apache Edgent 1.2.0 (incubating)
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2017 08:20:43 GMT
Hi all,

after finally merging back all changes we did in the last few months, I think it would be
a good time to do a first release using Maven. This way we can give the Maven build its final
and ultimate test and hopefully start releasing a lot more often.

Even if I think the current development speed is still quite low, I would propose to start
doing releases the following way:

  *   The intention to release is indicated by a “[DISCUSS]” Thread in which the intention
for a new release is communicated
  *   After there is a general consensus on doing a new release a release branch is created
and the version develop is incremented (In this case, I would create a “release/1.2” branch
in which the version remains unchanged and the version of develop is incremented to “1.3.0-SNAPSHOT”
  *   As soon as this is done a “[LAST CALL]” Thread is started asking everyone to check
the release branch, bring in last changes and fixes.
  *   As soon as the “[LAST CALL]” thread implies all are ready, a Release Candidate is
created. We’ll be using the maven-release-plugin for that. This will create a so-called
staging repository in Apache’s Nexus (This is like a maven repository, but it contains only
the artifacts of the release candidate)
  *   As soon as the RC is staged, a “[VOTE]” Thread is started containing a link to the
staging repository.
  *   As soon as the Vote passes, the staging repo is set to “release” and the artifacts
automatically go to Apache’s public maven repo and get synced to Maven Central.
  *   Now the state of the release gets merged to “master” so now “master” represents
the state of the last release done by the project.
  *   If there were any bugfixes, patches etc. applied to the release branch, these changes
need to be merged to the develop branch too.

What do you think? Should we start the games?

Chris