edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Susan Cline <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Edgent 1.2.0 (incubating)
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2017 18:39:55 GMT
+1 - thanks for all the hard work on this!

Susan

> On Nov 6, 2017, at 12:20 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> after finally merging back all changes we did in the last few months, I think it would
be a good time to do a first release using Maven. This way we can give the Maven build its
final and ultimate test and hopefully start releasing a lot more often.

> Even if I think the current development speed is still quite low, I would propose to
start doing releases the following way:

>  *   The intention to release is indicated by a “[DISCUSS]” Thread in which the intention
for a new release is communicated
>  *   After there is a general consensus on doing a new release a release branch is created
and the version develop is incremented (In this case, I would create a “release/1.2” branch
in which the version remains unchanged and the version of develop is incremented to “1.3.0-SNAPSHOT”
>  *   As soon as this is done a “[LAST CALL]” Thread is started asking everyone to
check the release branch, bring in last changes and fixes.
>  *   As soon as the “[LAST CALL]” thread implies all are ready, a Release Candidate
is created. We’ll be using the maven-release-plugin for that. This will create a so-called
staging repository in Apache’s Nexus (This is like a maven repository, but it contains only
the artifacts of the release candidate)
>  *   As soon as the RC is staged, a “[VOTE]” Thread is started containing a link
to the staging repository.
>  *   As soon as the Vote passes, the staging repo is set to “release” and the artifacts
automatically go to Apache’s public maven repo and get synced to Maven Central.
>  *   Now the state of the release gets merged to “master” so now “master” represents
the state of the last release done by the project.
>  *   If there were any bugfixes, patches etc. applied to the release branch, these changes
need to be merged to the develop branch too.