edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Creating a new git repo for the Edgent project
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2017 13:34:27 GMT
Sooo … what’s the current state?

Do we need a vote on this to document the desire to create a new repo?

Chris

Am 08.11.17, 06:16 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>:

    Hi all,

    well there are several reasons, why I think separating the samples from the framework
is a good idea.

    1) It makes the repo a lot bigger and as you said overwhelming
    2) Usually people want to use Edgent and only a certain percentage also want to contribute,
build-time, complexity-to-setup, complexity-to-understand etc. could scare people
    3) Usually Samples are a sort of playground … one that has to be maintained. Would be
unfortunate to have to wait to clean up sample code and keep us from releasing.
    4) To be on the safe side, we should have to do the same duplication to build the samples
with java7 or java8 … usually a user just wants to build it for one.

    Right now, the way the samples are included, when doing a full build, the samples would
always be built for java7 as this is the last profile defined.

    But that’s just my opinion.

    Chris