edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject samples repo
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2017 22:10:02 GMT
Chris,

As you may have noticed, I’ve created and merged the first samples PR [1]  (see it for comments)
I’ll look through other doc in the core repo and take care of anything that needs updating.
As soon as practical we can remove the samples from the core repo.

I think the samples-develop branch is now all set to “work” with the upcoming 1.2.0 Edgent
runtime release.
i.e., when a user follows the README and downloads the samples, they will build against the
released 1.2.0.

Prior to that time, when building the samples, one can do
    ./mvnw clean package -Dedgent.runtime.version=1.2.0-SNAPSHOT  # assuming you’ve done
an “install” of that runtime version

There’s also a new samples/update-samples-version.sh - see the new samples/DEVELOPMENT.md.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-edgent-samples/pull/1 <https://github.com/apache/incubator-edgent-samples/pull/1>

— Dale

> On Nov 21, 2017, at 7:05 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Dale,
>
> Yes, I decided to do the changes on a feature branch and wait till you came back from
your holidays as I wanted to discuss things with you prior to changing develop.

> Also, JQAssistant should be running on all modules. I don’t see any configuration that
turns it off for any project …
> I am hoping to implement checks that ensure things that were causing problems will be
detected by this plugin. If you haven’t seen or used jqassistant I would definitely suggest
having a look as it’s an insanely useful tool (After a build you can run “mvn jqassistant:server”
and use the web-ui to do all sorts of queries on the project.

> Ok … I’ll reset the version to 1.2.0-SNAPSHOT on my feature branch.
>
> I agree … we shouldn’t be releasing the samples. Also I did split them out with the
1.3.0-SNAPSHOT version. I would however like to convert the “template” into a maven archetype
some day and include that in the main Edgent repo.

> What we would need to change in the samples however would be to update the reference
version to Edgent … otherwise it will continue to reference 1.3.0-SNAPSHOT versions which
are currently not updated.

> Chris
>
> Am 20.11.17, 19:42 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dml.apache@gmail.com>:
>
>    Hi Chris,
>
>> You remember me not being very fond of the variables in the groupIds as I said that
there might be problems in the release … well now we know that for sure ;-)

>    Yup. I see you’ve made all (?) the conversions on the feature/pre-release-finetuning
branch.

>    I did notice one thing: jqassistant use is present for the J8 and J7 platforms but
not for Android - an oversight?

>> I think it would be a good idea to re-set the version of the develop branch to 1.2.0-SNAPSHOT
and to manually delete the release branch, fix things and give it another try as soon as we
fixed everything. Otherwise this would be a cherry-picking nightmare.

>    Might it be better… instead of resetting the version on the develop branch, reset
the version on the pre-release-finetuning branch? (only one set of wide sweeping changes to
look at)   Then create a PR and merge to “develop”.  Still have to manually delete the
release branch.

>    P.S. for the “samples” tree, leave everything as is for now (w/1.3.0-SNAPSHOT)
and figure them out after splitting out to their own repo?
>    I think we don’t want to "ASF release” samples, a question/point John raised,
so these changes might not apply to them.