edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creating a new git repo for the Edgent project
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2017 14:43:53 GMT
I don’t think a formal vote is required.  Anyone who might have had an opinion has had ample
opportunity to express it.
So, the informal tally is two +1 (you and me) and no -1.

So, John, please move forward with creating a repo for the samples.

Thanks!
— Dale

> On Nov 12, 2017, at 8:34 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Sooo … what’s the current state?
>
> Do we need a vote on this to document the desire to create a new repo?
>
> Chris
>
> Am 08.11.17, 06:16 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>:
>
>    Hi all,
>
>    well there are several reasons, why I think separating the samples from the framework
is a good idea.

>    1) It makes the repo a lot bigger and as you said overwhelming
>    2) Usually people want to use Edgent and only a certain percentage also want to contribute,
build-time, complexity-to-setup, complexity-to-understand etc. could scare people
>    3) Usually Samples are a sort of playground … one that has to be maintained. Would
be unfortunate to have to wait to clean up sample code and keep us from releasing.
>    4) To be on the safe side, we should have to do the same duplication to build the
samples with java7 or java8 … usually a user just wants to build it for one.

>    Right now, the way the samples are included, when doing a full build, the samples
would always be built for java7 as this is the last profile defined.

>    But that’s just my opinion.
>
>    Chris
>

>    Am 07.11.17, 19:00 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dml.apache@gmail.com>:
>
>        Let’s see what Chris’ thoughts are.
>
>        Another aspect of the separation is that importing the full Edgent sources into
an IDE workspace, just to get the samples, can be a bit overwhelming (with regards to the
number of projects present).  We could tell users to deselect all but the samples tree in
say the Eclipse import wizard.  Just seems cleaner / easier for a user if we can avoid that
detail.