edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven: appended-resources/licenses
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2017 19:38:37 GMT
The licensing stuff was a huge pain that I had to deal with last year.  I make no claim to
being an expert now :-)

A bundle’s LICENSE and NOTICE can only contain information relevant to content present in
the bundle.  i.e., there must not be any information related to external dependencies that
are not bundled.
I thought info for all bundled content (regardless of license type) must be included.  I believe
NOTICE must include info for all bundled content (regardless of license type).

I’ll make the adjustments noted below that I believe are correct and undo/redo if Justin
corrects me :-)

I don’t know the purpose of DEPENDENCIES as it relates to bundled 3rd party content (clearly
it captures information about non-bundled external dependencies).

— Dale

> On Oct 3, 2017, at 3:13 PM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Dale,
>
> the others were referenced in the DEPENDENCIES file.
> As far as I know we only need to add stuff to NOTICE and LICENSE if the license and notice
versions of the included libs require us to do that. So only for those did I add something.
For the rest it should be sufficient to mention them in the DEPENDENCIES and bundle their
license agreements. Am I correct with that assumption (Still learning this licensing stuff
;-) )?

> By the way … I just pushed an update that eliminated the d3.legend.js from our repo.

> Chris
>
> Am 03.10.17, 20:52 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dml.apache@gmail.com>:
>
>    Hi Chris,
>
>    Why does appended-resources/licenses contains more than the licenses than those referenced
by META-INF/LICENSE files?
>    I see just MIT, BSD 3-Clause and BSD 2.Clause referenced from the LICENSE files.
>
>    Why are these present:
>      apache-license-version-2.0.txt  (will be necessary if gson and metrics-core are
added to LICENSE :-)
>      cddl+gplv2*
>      eclipse-public-license*
>
>    Justin, just double checking, I thought we MUST include ALL BUNDLED external artifacts
in our LICENSE?  If not, at least “can” they be included?  Just seems best.

>    Specifically gson and metrics-core are bundled but absent.  And I find it confusing
that our NOTICE includes info for a bundled item that’s not mentioned in our LICENSE (metrics-core).
>    Note, our current release’s binary bundle LICENSE included references for them.
>
>    I’d also like to pull on the JSR-166 reference that Chris added to LICENSE.  Is
that supposed to be in NOTICE?  I see that in nifi that’s where they have it along with
the metric-core reference (like we have in our NOTICE)  https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-assembly/NOTICE
<https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-assembly/NOTICE>

>    It also seems wrong to have a JSR-166 reference in our LICENSE and not have some corresponding
license reference to go with it.