edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: maven and distribution bundles with transitive deps: licensing&notice
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:00:30 GMT
Well the problem is, the wrapper would require us to check in a jar and that’s a no-go for
an Apache release.

There seems to be long-going discussions on the maven-wrapper page about such a no-deps update.
Right now, I think the most promising solution would be to extend the mvnw scripts to check
if the jar is present and if it’s not, to compile a single java class and run it locally.
This would then download the jar and place it where the wrapper expects it to be. In that
case only sources would be checked in and the only dependency needed would be to have a JDKs
bin directory on the systems path (Which is needed for almost everything else anyway).

Unfortunately, I am totally at war with platform (independent) shell-scripts. Sort of have
the same love for them as for regular expressions ;-)

Volunteers to look into this?

Chris

Am 12.07.17, 14:34 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dml.apache@gmail.com>:

    The wrapper sounds like a win (we currently leverage the gradle wrapper to ease the pain).

    I’m continuing to tweak the script for j7/android.

    > On Jul 11, 2017, at 5:07 PM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
    >
    > I'm not demanding the assembly ... It was just the last missing part in the migration
to Maven. Most ASF projects provide such convenience binary archives, but an ASF release is
the source only anyway.

    > I admit that your script would do the job.
    >
    > Another thing worth looking into might be the Maven wrapper, which would eliminate
the need to download Maven, as someone not wanting to use Maven would have to install Maven
in order to NOT use it afterwards ;-) ... Users using Maven wouldn't use the script.