edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject mvn, Edgent samples, and the broader app development and packaging topic
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2017 13:21:51 GMT
Today (pre-mvn), Edgent has a number of sample programs under /samples.  They are pre-built
and included in the binary release bundle as a collection of jars edgent.samples.{apps,…}.jar
and are run via scripts under /scripts.

Your thoughts on samples in the new world? As things are now, the scripts don’t work. They
presume a (binary release) directory tree where all of the edgent jars reside in a particular
layout.  They also use the non-version-labeled-name form of the Edgent jars.

At a high level there's “how do I build and package/assemble my app for execution on a device,
and run my app”.  Edgent, mostly, isn’t in the business of how to package the bits or
get them to / install them on the device.

Today’s binary release bundle only addresses the “run” part of that.  The binary bundle
includes the sample sources but doesn’t include tooling/scripts to build them. How lame
is that?  :-)

In my mind it’s NOT a hard requirement that we (a) provide pre-built samples, nor (b) provide
an Edgent binary release bundle (containing all the Edgent jars and deps).  I think it’s
just the opposite :-)

I’ll stop there just to kickoff this thread.

— Dale