edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Understanding the snapshot and release process
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2017 10:49:29 GMT
Your wish is my command ;-)

I just installed the latest Eclipse “Neon.3” in the Developer edition (which comes with
Maven support).

Then I manually deleted all existing eclipse settings in the Edgent project as otherwise Eclipse
would have insisted on using them instead. Also, I added them to the main gitignore file to
prevent them from being tracked when re-created.

After that I imported my existing Maven project into my Eclipse workspace. It correctly detected
all plugins I am using in the build and correctly setup the M2E plugins for these (glad I’m
just using the usual suspects of maven plugins). In the end, I still got 3 errors complaining
about the copy plugin not being able to copy because the jars not having been assembled yet.
So, I moved all tests that require the loading of WAR or JAR files to the integration-test
phase (where they belong anyway) and re-tried. Eclipse still had the same issues. In the end,
I forced Eclipse to ignore the plugin execution. So, If you try to execute any of the “IT”
suffixed tests in Eclipse, these will probably fail if you haven’t done a Maven build prior
to test execution.

Right now, I have the project imported in Eclipse and am getting 0 errors. I tried running
some Junit tests from Eclipse and all worked nicely :-)

So, I guess were coming close to the finishing line.

Chris

Am 14.06.17, 18:09 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dml.apache@gmail.com>:

    Yup, just noticed it. Looking good!

    > On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:36 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
    >
    > Ok, so I just pushed a major update.
    >
    > On my machine with these changes both the java7 and java8 builds seem to be working.
In the next few days I’ll probably play around with some of the excluded modules and see
if we can include them in the java7 build. Right now, it sort of looks as if they were excluded
simply because they didn’t immediately work. So I’ll go through them and try to find out
which ones we can add and write down why some cant (This information seems to be missing at
the moment)
    I suggest deferring the “add more to java7” effort until everything else needed to
reach the state of being able to develop and make a release with the new machinery is done.
 Maybe deferring until after actually making a release with the new machinery - IMO we should
do one asap.

    > Another thing I did, was to add the RAT plugin, go through the exclusions and clean
up the exclusions. Some were excluding stuff that shouldn’t be excluded and it reported
quite a hand full of files without ASF headers. I added them so please have a look if this
was ok.
    LGTM

    > The Eclipse support is also on my list (even if I have to admit that I always hate
having to open that IDE ;-) )
    :-) the sooner the better so that more folks can pull in the PR to experiment.

    Thanks!
    — Dale