edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mvn, Edgent samples, and the broader app development and packaging topic
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2017 14:51:38 GMT

> On Jun 27, 2017, at 9:28 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Regarding the assembly,
>
> The way the build is currently setup, we would be distributing jars via Apaches Maven
Repo which is synced with Maven Central. So, everyone using maven would easily be able to
use these. But if someone isn’t using Maven or Ivy with a Maven resolver or Gradle with
a Maven resolver, they would have to either build Edgent locally or manually download all
the jars from Maven Central. I don’t think people would like that. I know of quite a few
that would be used to creating an Eclipse project with a libs directory, which they simply
copy a set of jars into. For that type of user, a binary distribution would be beneficial.

Yes, I completely understand that overall use case / need.  I’d just like to address it
without actually distributing a composite binary bundle :-)
Instead I’d like to just give / tell them a way to be able to just easily “get” the
jars/deps that we will already be distributing in repos.
I definitely don’t want such a user to have to resort to building Edgent just to get their
hands on the jars.

I'm surprised there isn’t already such a “get-from-repo [—recursive] component-coordinate”
tool.

— Dale