edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Understanding the snapshot and release process
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 14:43:27 GMT
Eventually your approach with a sub-directory inside the target would be a valid option …
would probably have to adjust the maven-clean-plugin too, but that should work in getting
all results inside the target directory in parallel.

Chris

Am 08.06.17, 16:13 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dml.apache@gmail.com>:

    > On Jun 8, 2017, at 4:19 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
    >
    > Regarding java8 and java7 artifacts …

    Coincidentally, I started investigating this space yesterday and retrolambda-maven-plugin
    and was just composing mail on the question of publishing java8 and java7 to mvn repos
:-)

    [ fwiw, so far I had defined a Profile (e.g., mvn install -Ptgt=java7) and
    changed the “target” build directory to “target/${edgent.target.kind}”
    (e.g., target/{java8,java7}).  Things were working fine up to that point:
    generated class files and module jars. ]

    > This could be problematic, if we wanted to publish both.
    > I could offer to generally build java7 versions and to test them with java7 and java8
… I think this topic should be discussed a little more before I start implementing this.

    > Right now, I would opt for distributing java8 binaries to Maven Central and to offer
downloadable java7 binary distributions.

    Ugh.  Publishing java8 in a mvn repo but java7/android as a binary tgz seems really bad.
    It creates two different ways (and needed doc) for users building an Edgent app
    and installing Edgent jars onto a “device”.

    Could you elaborate on the problems using the maven coordinate “classifier”?
    The maven doc [1] has this exactly as use case for it (they use “jdk15” vs “jdk14”).
    At a high (ignorant) level I don’t have a problem with the classifier being nil for
java8 :-)

    If using a coordinate classifier is a no-go, what about (grimace) incorporating it into
the
    groupId:  org.apache.edgent, org.apache.edgent.java7  ?

    A bit related, what coordinate component is “incubating” supposed to be incorporated
into?

    — Dale

    [1] https://maven.apache.org/pom.html <https://maven.apache.org/pom.html>