edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Understanding the snapshot and release process
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 08:19:54 GMT
Regarding java8 and java7 artifacts …

This could be problematic, if we wanted to publish both.

Having a binary tar.gz with a java8 and one with java7 doesn’t seem to be a problem, but
having two artifacts deployed to Maven-Central is no trivial task.
Exactly this type of jars for different java versions is one of the things the Maven guys
are currently working on as part of the Java 9 – Jigsaw support. But it’s a nightmare.
We could start creating java8 jars as default and add a second “java7” jar using the “java7”
classifier, but then a lot of the mechanisms in Maven no longer work.

I could offer to generally build java7 versions and to test them with java7 and java8 …
I think this topic should be discussed a little more before I start implementing this.

Right now, I would opt for distributing java8 binaries to Maven Central and to offer downloadable
java7 binary distributions.

Chris