edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Looking for additional mentor for Edgent with community growth ideas/focus
Date Wed, 17 May 2017 15:12:09 GMT
Hi John,

I can confidently report that it is list first with Edgent. I work in the same office with
many of the committers and conversations seem limited to "Hey, can you please look at my email
to the list?", who can go to Apachecon, etc. There were a few very early,  "Ya, best to ask
on the list about that" moments,  but they totally got it in no time and I haven't heard myself
or Dan say that for a very long time.

I think pre diversity graduation might  help with adoption as some folks don't really want
to adopt an incubating solution. I certainly feel that the current committers and ppmc members
would continue to act independently of single employer influence [1] , but realistically,
it might be a risk to the longevity of the project if we can't achieve diversity post graduation.
 So, yes, it might make it easier to swim if we take the incubation life vest off, but...

Diversity was a struggle years ago when I first started with Derby. Today, with Derby, it
is those committers that were not from the original code donor that keep the project going.
 Whether before or after graduation, diversity is a critical health component.

Best,

Katherine

[1] http://theapacheway.com/diversity/

Sent from my iPhone