edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Let's switch for GitHub for our primary repo!
Date Wed, 24 May 2017 13:33:10 GMT
Yeah, the new "GitHub as the main repo” config came up in John’s incubator talk @ ApacheCon.
 Pretty sure OpenWisk was one of the projects using it.  Don’t recall the other incubator
project that was gushing over it.  As you might expect there was a LOT of interest in it.

Consider this a personal invitation to help cleanup the build system :-)

— Dale

> On May 23, 2017, at 4:26 PM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m just asking, because the Flex project started with SVN and we migrated to ASF GIT.
Now we have the GitHub mirrors setup and can process Pull requests etc. But it’s not our
main repo. Our main repo is the ASF one.

> Are you sure you can really use the Merge button on pull requests? Wouldn’t this require
deeper access to Github. We currently do things by sending commands to close pull requests
etc. in the commit messages. So, if we say: “closes #238” the ASF bots close the pull
requests for us. If things have changed, this might be interesting for the Flex Project too.

> In general, these types of migrations are really easy … just create one of the Infra
tickets and things happen automatically. I think they even have issue templates for things
like this.

> And regarding help … The sort of thing I do quite a lot in my paid job and here at
Apache, is build systems cleanup … my speciality are Maven migrations. Reading other emails
it looked a little complicated with your current Gradle setup … want any help in that …
just ask ;-)

> Looking forward do digging deeper into this (
>
> Chris
>
> Am 23.05.17, 17:13 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dml.apache@gmail.com>:
>
>    Hi Christofer,
>
>    Sorry I didn’t manage to catch up with you @ ApacheCon following your SCADA talk
and mention of interest in Edgent.  We’re greatly interested in your interest/feedback!

>    Re git, Edgent(Quarks) was a GitHub based project prior to donation/incubating @ ASF.
 The Apache Edgent ASF project was created with SVN as the main repo with an ASF git repo
mirror and a read-only mirror of that to GitHub — apparently standard ASF fare at the time
for those wanting to use git/github.  We promote using the gitflow model of forking the GitHub
mirror for committing/creating and reviewing PRs.  Then committers use git to merge the PR
to the ASF git repo - ugh.

>    The proposal is to convert to the newly supported “GitHub as the main repo” approach.
 Then we’ll be able to fully use the normal gitflow model including the Merge button on
the PR’s page!  And use of GitHub Issues instead of JIRA.

>    As I understand it, the repo switch issue is (easily?) handled by generating an infra
request once the project decides to head in that direction.

>    — Dale
>

>> On May 23, 2017, at 10:29 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> This is the first mail I got after signing up ;-)
>> Fascinating project you have here … guess I will hang around quite some time in
the (hopefully) near future.

>> Guess I might be able to help you with this GIT topic. Are you thinking of switching
to GIT in general from SVN? Or do you want to commit to GitHub and hope for this to get synced
back to the ASF SVN?