edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Understanding the snapshot and release process
Date Sun, 28 May 2017 21:44:00 GMT
Well the big advantage of running the jobs on ASF Jenkins is that you can auto-deploy to Nexus
(ASF Maven Repo) as well as commit to Git without having to store some ones credentials on
an external machine. Infra is very helpful in getting even complicated setups running (I manage
the Windows based flex builds, which need Flashplayer, Browsers and Selenium). I would be
more than happy to help setup everything.

Chris

Am 28.05.17, 17:26 schrieb "John D. Ament" <johndament@apache.org>:

    On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 11:12 AM Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>
    wrote:

    > The Maven build should work on the ASF Jenkins and hereby publish the
    > snapshots. I think that in the flex project I added this to ensure its
    > added to the generated "site".
    >
    > Which one is the hosted Jenkins you are referring to? The asf Jenkins?

    Yes, the ASF jenkins.

    > And what should be the problem with Travis? Why are you using two ci
    > servers?

    AFAIK, Edgent only uses travis, and doesn't currently run jobs on ASF
    Jenkins.  At least if they do, I was unable to find a job with a name that
    was easy to identify.

> [...]
    > > exactly this.
    > >
    > >     Regarding jacoco: So I’ll activate that in the maven build too
    > >
    > >     Regarding automatic build: For Flex I setup the build to do a
    > > multibranch pipeline build. So whenever someone checks something in
    > > “develop”, “releae/*” or “feature/*” it automatically builds that
    > > particular branch. However develop and “release/*” are the only ones
    > > uploading SNAPSHOT versions to the ASF Nexus.
    > >
    > >     Regarding my commitment: I think Edgent is the tool I was looking for
    > > in order to make my SCADA project feature-perfect. So I have a strong
    > > interest in the project maturing. I do have plans for a longer
    > involvement
    > > in the project. Probably I would be trying to create an open-source “plc”
    > > connector (which would probably have to be developed outside of Apache
    > due
    > > to libraries still being GPL). But I do plan on staying around some time
    > ;-)
    > >
    > >     Regarding the usage: Maven or Gradle based application developers
    > > could directly utilize SNAPSHOT and release artifacts as they are
    > released.
    > > Additionally, I would create a so-called assembly that produces the same
    > > zip or tar-gz archives the users have been using. So there shouldn’t be
    > too
    > > much of a change.
    > >
    > >     So now I’ll try to finish the rest of the connector modules maven
    > > conversion (
    > >
    > >     Chris
    > >
    > >     Am 25.05.17, 19:37 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dml.apache@gmail.com>:
    > >
    > >         Awaiting others to chime in on this “switch to mvn” subject.
    > >         A “don’t care” (+/- 0) response is preferred over silence.
    > >
    > >         In the mean time...
    > >
    > >         > On May 24, 2017, at 11:41 AM, Christofer Dutz <
    > > christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
    > >         > ...
    > >         > I just checked out everything and managed to get things
    > imported
    > > in IntelliJ after a little struggle … this is a good job you did :-)
    > >         Can’t take all the credit (or blame :-)
    > >         >
    > >         > Right now, it seems as if there were Ant+Gradle+Eclipse build
    > > files in there. While it might seem ...
    > >         gradle is the only CLI way to build edgent.  Any ant build.xml
    > > files are either (a) residual cruft that should be removed (my bad) or
    > (b)
    > > needed to leverage the ant machinery for invoking retrolambda in building
    > > java7/android compatible versions of the jars (machinery that wasn’t
    > > converted to pure gradle due to time/effort/value at the time).
    > Attempting
    > > to use ant at the top level tells you it doesn’t work :-)  As for Eclipse
    > > .project/.classpath, yup those are live and haven’t been a maintenance
    > > issue.
    > >
    > >         fwiw, I just removed all build.xml except the top level one and
    > > those under platform and “gradle release” worked fine so I’ll create a
PR