edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Understanding the snapshot and release process
Date Thu, 25 May 2017 17:37:58 GMT
Awaiting others to chime in on this “switch to mvn” subject.
A “don’t care” (+/- 0) response is preferred over silence.

In the mean time...

> On May 24, 2017, at 11:41 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
> I just checked out everything and managed to get things imported in IntelliJ after a
little struggle … this is a good job you did :-)
Can’t take all the credit (or blame :-)

> Right now, it seems as if there were Ant+Gradle+Eclipse build files in there. While it
might seem ...
gradle is the only CLI way to build edgent.  Any ant build.xml files are either (a) residual
cruft that should be removed (my bad) or (b) needed to leverage the ant machinery for invoking
retrolambda in building java7/android compatible versions of the jars (machinery that wasn’t
converted to pure gradle due to time/effort/value at the time).  Attempting to use ant at
the top level tells you it doesn’t work :-)  As for Eclipse .project/.classpath, yup those
are live and haven’t been a maintenance issue.

fwiw, I just removed all build.xml except the top level one and those under platform and “gradle
release” worked fine so I’ll create a PR to clean them up as a first step.

> ...JavaDoc is generated automatically when running a release build together with the
usual Maven project reports (is even configured in the apache parent POM together with rat,
deployment etc.)
Javadoc was complicated by creating groupings as well as excluding it for non-API classes.

> ...I didn’t quite understand the “Manifest” thing, but the jar plugin does generate
this with reasonable defaults, and can be extended to also export the dependencies into that
(even if I don’t recommend that).
An edgent jar’s manifest class-path includes references to its immediate dependent edgent
jars (not transitive) as well as references to its external jar dependencies (transitively).
 I agree that "compiled in" references to specific versions of external dependencies may not
be a great idea / is perhaps best eliminated.

My recollection is that by default gradle did not generate any manifest class-path.

e.g., just to make this a bit more concrete, this is from edgent.connectors.kafka.jar/MANIFEST.MF
(see connectors/kafka/build.gradle for more info)

Class-Path: ../../../lib/edgent.api.topology.jar ../../../ext/gson-2.2
 .4.jar ../../../ext/slf4j-api-1.7.12.jar ../../../ext/metrics-core-3.
 1.2.jar ../ext/kafka_2.10-0.8.2.2.jar ../ext/kafka-clients-0.8.2.2.ja
 r ../ext/log4j-1.2.16.jar ../ext/metrics-core-2.2.0.jar ../ext/scala-
 library-2.10.4.jar ../ext/zkclient-0.3.jar ../ext/zookeeper-3.4.6.jar

edgent.api.topology.jar itself has lots of edgent jar dependencies (captured in its manifest)
but that’s of no concern to the kafka connector.  I’m not sure maintaining this is a requirement
and, at least for gradle, eliminating it would have greatly simplified things.

Test execution environment was also an issue.  perhaps more a result of structural issues.
 i.e., the gradle config treated a component’s tests as unit tests, run against the associated
component’s .class files.  The ant system treated them more like integration tests, run
against the jar files that would be bundled into a binary-release bundle; more like the environment
that Edgent-based applications would use.  That was very important.  And due to some manual
setup requirements for some connector tests are excluded from execution by default.

> …
> In the Flex project, I also setup the build to run SonarQube analysis and automatically
generate the documentation from markdown and/or asciidoctor (which I think is very convenient)
even automatically update and deploy the project website.

We include use of jacoco
We have travis integration for auto-PR validation.
It would be nice to have some periodic build/regression testing run on the main (master) branch.

> I could offer to create a fork on GitHub, create a feature branch there and try to whip
up a set of poms that add Maven as fourth build system to the list … you could check it
out and play around with it. But I’d only do this, if there is any interest in it.

I don’t blame you!

One worry I have is that it ends up like the gradle effort… it was ~trivial to get started
but there was then a lot of effort required identify and flesh out equivalence with the ant
based build result artifacts.
If you’re on board for the long haul in doing a conversion then that lessens my concern.

I’m on board to help but don’t want to inherit a “now finish it” task :-)

A full switch to a ~simple mvn-based build system would be the goal IMO — we’d want to
toss gradle. The effort ultimately also entails updating a bunch of doc.  Not a killer, just
not to be overlooked.

It’s unclear to me how the Edgent-based app developers will be affected by all of this.
 OK, they build their Edgent-based app with some tool that can utilize a maven repo.  Then
what?

Today the story is simple: extract the binary-tgz (or a subset of it) on the target (edge
device), copy your app code jar/classes to the target, set the CLASSPATH and go.  (assume
we also eliminate building/distributing a binary-tgz)

Can elaborate on that part of the story?

Thanks!
— Dale