edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmars...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why Java?
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2017 16:40:04 GMT
On 3/8/17 11:02 AM, donovan o'hara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the motivations for doing this in Java if the intention is that it
> would mostly or often run in resouce poor environments? Would it not have
> been better to write this for instance in C/C++ for a smaller footprint?
>
> I did not see you adress this on your site - if you do please point me to
> it.

Hello Donovan,

Welcome to the Edgent community.

I was not involved in the original design but am guessing a lot of it
has to do with the general "Why java?" answers such as  portability and
great class libraries for use by not only Edgent, but also applications.
The ability to easily perform fairly sophisticated analytics  at the
edge makes java an easier development environment than C or C++ in my
opinion. This is useful especially in  restricted bandwidth and high
communication cost scenarios.

That said there has been some initial discussion in the community of
trying to get support for something similar on  IOS.   Is seems there is
interest in something like Edgent other languages.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/27996426fae005bf86af2d3633947e97f396026da49ddf52e1ea10de@%3Cdev.edgent.apache.org%3E

Best

Katherine