edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Edgent 1.0.0 Release RC2
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2016 22:42:20 GMT

> On Dec 7, 2016, at 4:22 PM, Dan Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> wrote:
> binary-release/NOTICE has lists of files for various ext folders, but the list of jars
in some cases (connectors/iotp, connectors/kafka, at least) is a sub-set of the jars that
end up in (for example):

> build/distributions/java8/connectors/kafka/ext
>
> Should the NOTICE file include all jars?

Good question.  (Not sure if the “policy” is that this should be discussed on the [DISCUSS]
thread but since it’s been posted here…)

It’s not as simple as “if there’s an entry in LICENSE, there should be a corresponding
info in NOTICE”.

Are there specific case where you believe there should be a corresponding NOTICE… and why?

While permissively licensed products (MIT, BSD,EPL,EDL) require inclusion of license information,
“Under normal circumstances, there is no need to modify NOTICE” [1]  and [2]. In most
cases these products don’t have notice-like content to include.

For AL-2.0 licensed dependencies see [3].

Reviewing the files in licenses/binary-license again I see there are some cases where we’ve
included a “standard” NOTICE file (one lacking any additional attributions) for some AL-2.0
licensed dependencies.  Justin, should these AL-2.0 “standard” NOTICES be included?

As for some AL-2.0 licensed dependencies where we haven’t included a NOTICE, at least in
some (all?) cases the dependency simply lacks a NOTICE or notice-like file.  Though perhaps
we’ve omitted some “standard” NOTICE content by mistake.

Perhaps Justin could speak more authoritatively to this.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps>
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice>
[3] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep>

— Dale