edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: tag format for releases?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2016 20:38:05 GMT
Hi,

> I haven’t been able to locate any definitive ASF documentation on the format for release
tags and things seem all over the map.  Justin?

That’s because there isn’t a prescribed one. It generally has the project name, “apache”
is useful to have for branding and possible trademark protection, “incubating” may be
required for incubating projects.

> These tags show up in GitHub so they’re somewhat prominent (e.g., see the “releases”
tab for a project).
> They’re always within a project’s context - so the “apache-<project>-“
prefix seems like a bit of noise to me.

Yep it’s a feature of GitHub that we wish could be turned off. It adds noise and some confusion
re releases as users may download a “release” before an official release had been made.

> I’m inclined to use the "vX.Y.Z-incubating” form.

Which is fine. You may want to add “apache” and/or edgent” if at some point you’re
going to releasing more than one artefact or other reasons mentioned  above but it up to the
PPMC to decide.

Thanks,
Justin