edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding support for different IOT platform
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2016 16:47:33 GMT
Hi,  The simple answer is Edgent is a completely open platform and can be extended in any manner
desired.  New Providers can be created, new connectors, ...

Edgent’s IotProvider class supplies some generally useful infrastructure for building Edgent
applications.  It's intended to be IoT Platform agnostic.  A central abstraction is that of
an org.apache.edgent.connectors.iot.IotDevice - a connector to an IoT platform for publishing
“events” and subscribing to “commands”.  The “id” space and content/payload of
events and commands is open ended.  Edgent defines a small number of common events and commands
that are likely to grow over time.

Edgent comes with an IotDevice implementation for connecting to the Watson IoT Platform: org.apache.edgent.connectors.iotp.IotpDevice.
 IotpDevice is a thin veneer over the Watson IoT Platform java library, which itself uses
the Eclipse Paho MQTT library to interact with the Watson IoT Platform.  Edgent also comes
with a generic MqttDevice IotDevice connector.

At a high level, the initial work would be to provide an IotDevice implementation for another
IoT Platform. The implementation can use whatever services / libraries are available in mapping
to the IotDevice model.

Then one can start to contemplate the mapping of Edgent defined events and commands to the
“device commands and events” defined by a particular IoT Platform as well as extending
existing services like ApplicationService/ApplicationServiceMxBean and/or providing new services
for handling things defined by the IoT Platform.

Looking at the IotpFullScenario sample may also help clarify things (org.apache.edgent.samples.scenarios.iotp.IotpFullScenario).

Hope that helps!

— Dale