edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Edgent 1.0.0 release
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2016 15:02:36 GMT
Hi,

> I see that Kafka avoids bundling gradle-wrapper.jar by requiring the user to perform
a “bootstrap gradle” step using an installed version of gradle.

You may also want to look at Groovy, Tapestry, Zest, Usergrid or Geode. I can see that a couple
do have the jar in git but IMO would be best to avoid if possible.

> That step creates the gradle wrapper (and downloads gradle-wrapper.jar) so that gradlew
can be used from that point on.
> see https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/README.md <https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/README.md>

Seem like the best approach to me.

> Interestingly, the Kafka repo still contains the wrapper - i.e, if one clones / downloads
the github repo, the wrapper is already present.

> Justin, is it legal for the source repository to continue to contain the gradle wrapper?

Legal probably yes, allowed perhaps yes/perhaps no but best avoided IMO.

Thanks,
Justin