edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Dale LaBossiere <dml.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trying register an application via the registerJar command
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:24:50 GMT
I think I understand the confusion / issue now...

Your app created the IotpDevice (with its config) when it started up, as a param to the IotProvider.
 You only create one.

I’m think your registered-jar’s embedded TopologyBuilder builder’s accept<Topology,JsonObject>
needs to call IotDevicePubSub.addIotDevice(topology) to get a “virtual" IotDevice (linked
to the original IotpDevice you created) for the topology it’s building.  This is alluded
to in the IotProvider class javadoc.  (the IotProvider.registerTopology() impl does that automatically
for you when using the non-registerJar based flow)

e.g., something along the lines of:
    class MyRegisterJarBasedBuilder implements TopologyBuilder {  // registered as Java service
provider in the jar’s manifest
        BiConsumer<Topology,JsonObject> getBuilder {
            return (topology,config) -> MyApp.myIotDeviceBasedBuilder( IotDevicePubSub.addIotDevice(topology),
config) )
        }
    }

    class MyApp {
      static void myIotDeviceBasedBuilder(IotDevice iotDevice, JsonObject config) {
	Topology t = iotDevice.getTopology();
	  … build your topology on “t” using iotDevice as needed
      }
    }

— Dale

> On Sep 19, 2016, at 10:30 PM, Susan Cline <home4slc@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> Many thanks, Dale.
>
> Still trying to figure this out …
>
> Cheers,
>
> Susan
>> On Sep 19, 2016, at 8:30 AM, Dale LaBossiere <dml.apache@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> FYI I just created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EDGENT-250 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EDGENT-250>
to update IotProvider doc related to registerJar().  You should consider adding commentary
there as part of your experiences — and/or consider tacking that jira and maybe even enhancing
the doc further in this space :-)

>> — Dale
>>

>>> On Sep 19, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Dale LaBossiere <dml.apache@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The TopologyBuilder.getBuilder() impl is bogus.  Looks like it’s copied from
TestApplication().  All it does is return a builder (BiConsumer) that creates a topology consisting
of a TStream<String> containing one tuple with the app’s name and prints that stream.

>>> Your getBuilder() impl needs to return a BiConsumer that builds your app’s
topology.  Looks like that’s what your accept() is trying to do.  Seems like you want something
like (though I’d rename that accept() to something like “buildTopology()” for clarity).

>>>     public BiConsumer<Topology, JsonObject> getBuilder() {
>>>     		return (t,c) -> accept(t,c);
>>>     }
>>>
>>> Fix that and then see what happens regarding handling of the submit request.
 You might also consider adding a println to your getBuilder() and accept() to verify they’re
getting called.

>>> — Dale

the 3 lines before provider.start().
the full output from when I started the registerJarExample application to when I submitted
the command):

to ssl://ni6dcf.messaging.internetofthings.ibmcloud.com:8883 (attempt #1)...
IBM Watson IoT Platform

those three lines before provider.start() and try again.
javadoc).  I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if these extra additions might much things up.