edgent-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: license review
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2016 07:13:27 GMT
Hi,

> The first one I was looking at is Metrics under
> ext/metrics-3.1.2, which is an Apache license but has Notices that I think
> we would need to add to our NOTICE file.

Yep I mentioned that above.

> My plan was to research 3rd party jar files one at a time
> and create pull requests for the Quarks NOTICE If needed.

I would hold off on that. An Apache releases source code, so a source release can’t include
jars. You may also optionally make a connivence binary release and that may end up having
a different LICENSE/NOTICE  to the source release (as it contents are different). I would
try (but it’s only a suggestion) to try and produce a source release first.

> I guess a good question is whether we should remove the jar files
> completely and set up Maven or something like it instead.

IMO they can’t stay in version control and it something that would need to be fixed before
graduation. Happy to hear other options.

> How do projects usually handle binary releases?

Exactly the same rules apply [1] and that's dependant on it’s content. Note this means that
you will need to look inside each of the jars and see what they contain. I can help with that
as I’ve made and reviewed probably 50? or so releases.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary