eagle-user mailing list archives

From "Zhang, Edward (GDI Hadoop)" <yonzh...@ebay.com>
Subject [Discuss] Hadoop metrics,job,GC monitoring
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2015 18:58:12 GMT
Hi Eagle devs/users,

As proposed in apache eagle incubator proposal, Eagle will start design/dev to support Hadoop
system monitoring besides security monitoring which includes Hadoop native metrics, job, gclog
etc.

The community is also interested in Hadoop system monitoring by Eagle when we recently talked
about Eagle product in public conferences, meet up etc.

Take Hadoop native metrics as an example, first of all those metrics are pretty valuable in
determining system health status, secondly collecting huge amount metrics, visualizing, and
alerting is very challenging.  We need think of declarative collection, dynamic aggregation,
metric storage, metric query engine etc.

Besides technical design, comprehensive policy/rule are also valuable to be shared in the
community. Those policy/rule represent best practice in the world to manage large Hadoop clusters.

Please suggest whatever is for engineering design or business policy/rules.

Thanks
Edward